people god

4600 48th Street at Salem
Lubbock, Texas 79414
806.792.6124

courier-button

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8

HISTORY OF COVENANT PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

Covenant Presbyterian Church was formed on June 6, 1971, by a merger of John Knox [1954] and St. Mark’s Presbyterian [1958] Churches. The two congregations were located only two miles apart and served the same general area of Lubbock. It was recognized that a merger offered an opportunity for a stronger and more diversified congregational ministry. After the reunion of the Presbyterian Church U.S. and the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) in 1983, Covenant became a member congregation of the Palo Duro Presbytery and the Synod of the Sun.

Covenant’s current location is at the site of the former St. Mark’s congregation. In 1977, a major building renovation, which included reconfiguring the sanctuary, installing the pipe organ, adding office wing with library and choir room, fellowship hall, kitchen, and enclosing the courtyard, was undertaken. The building debt was
paid off in August, 1990.

2013 saw the addition of children’s ministry wing; remodel and addition of new restrooms and a ‘sunroom’ on the south side of the old courtyard, now the Covenant Center; elimination and remodeling of the old children’s classrooms; a music ministry wing with a new and enlarged choir room; new parking and landscaping on the north and west sides.

Three pastors have served Covenant. The current pastor, Davis Borden Price, has served Covenant since 1977. Covenant’s membership currently numbers approximately 320.